Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Moral Dilemma


Would I blow the whistle if my employer was acting unethically? This is a hard question. I think that most of us would like to think that we would.  But if truth be told, I think it can be agreed that it would be a hard decision.  There are many factors that I feel need to be taken into consideration. I think that first I would have to consider the depth of the potential harm that would be done. Second, I would consider how hard it would be to get heard.  Third, I would consider how much harm would come to me or my family. Fourth, would it do any good to blow the whistle.  Fifth, how long it would take. These are just the things that I can think of off the top of my head. The biggest factors that I would need to consider before I would report what I know would be how much harm would be done to other people if I did not report it and how much harm would come to me or my family. These two factors would be the biggest factors that would prevent me from acting, along with a basic fear of confrontation.  I was a very shy person when I was younger and am still that way a little. Although I have learned to be more assertive and to stand up for myself and my family, being a little fearful still is a factor in making these kinds of decisions. How much do you think your personality would help or hinder your decision? Do you think your basic moral beliefs would be a factor? 

No comments:

Post a Comment