Monday, March 4, 2013

HW 420 Final Blog


For this blog we were asked to compare our Unit 3 assessment to how we would rate ourselves now.  In Unit 3, I rated myself as a 7 for physical well-being but on further reflection, I changed this to a 5.  This change was mainly made because of the scores that I got on the assessment which was done for our insurance.  The fact that my triglycerides and cholesterol are high, are serious health risks that need to be addressed.  In Unit 3, I rated myself as a 7 for spiritual well-being, but when I did  the assessment for my final project, this changed to a 6 because this class brought a serious issue to my mind which is causing me distress. In Unit 3, I rated myself a 7, but when I did the assessment of my final, this also changed to a 6.  This was because of this same issue.
For Unit 3 the goals which I had set for myself were:
Physical - take the results of the health screening that will be done on January 31st to my doctor and get the test that I have not had this year. In addition, I will walk at least a mile a day 5 or 6 days a week and eat more fruit.  I have not made an appointment with my doctor yet.  I have been walking at least 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes.  I have not improved in the amount of fruit that I eat.
Spiritual - to begin is to commit to pray at least once a day.  Up until today, I had not accomplished this goal yet.  Today, however, I prayed and make a promise to God that I would continue to do so at least once a day.

Psychological - to make sure that I get at least 15 minutes of sunshine a day, in order to alleviate any symptoms of SAD and to attend church activities more often, so that I don't feel as lonely. I have been walking most days, so I have made progress toward this goal.  I am attending more church activities and making the effort to go with other people when I do.

As can be seen from my final project these goals have been expanded and changed. For the most part, I have implemented the activities that I discussed in Unit 3 into my life.

This course has been a wonderful experience and opened my mind to the fact that our well-being is not only a matter of the physical but also the spiritual and psychological.  It has also given me tools to develop these areas.  I will continue to use them to further expand my mind and relieve stress. This class has been difficult because it has brought to mind a very disturbing area in my life which is now causing me much distress. This experience has improved my ability to help other by making me aware that wellness is not just a matter of the physical, but also the spiritual and psychological and it has made me aware that the mind can do a lot to control the body.  I will be a more effective health and wellness professional because I will be more aware sensitive to these areas when I deal with clients and because I have used the tools, I will be able to recommend them to them.




9 comments:

  1. Hi June, I truly hope you are not being to hard on yourself about your assessment of yourself. Because to me in some areas you seem to be doing just that. I know people have always told me I am harder on myself then I truly should be and maybe you should just step back and take a look at the "true" you. In this class I have become aware of the steps that can help us achieve a better connection through mind, body and spirit, and with patience, practice and endurance we can reach our goals. Your physical and spiritual goals are truly in reach for you. Physiologically speaking these are hard goals to achieve especially when depression is present and I only know all to well. I can;t tell you how often I have been told by professionals in this field you need to get out and get some sunshine and go out walking. They seem to have no clue for most of the times they have not been in our shoes. Yes walking and sunshine sounds great but what if you can barely get out of bed and brush your teeth and so on; where does exercise come into play? I also think going to church is a super idea this can get you out of the house where you can experience fellowship, compassion and true empathy. It is important to assess your goals down in a journal of sorts or even on a dry eraser board so that you can see your progress on a regular basis. Remember even if you slip up there is always tomorrow. Also remember to "treat" yourself on a job well done. This can be a small step of encouragement. We can all eventually reach our goals if they are actually achievable and we are realistic about them even if it is one baby step at a time. I encourage you on your journey to optimal health and wellness and happiness in your life. My compassion, understanding and empathy goes out to you! Remember you can do it! Good luck and hang in there! ~Kat~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June,I think you are being to hard on yourself as I have issues in that area also. We all have areas that we need to improve and always will.I commend you on your commitments and following through. You are the track and your going to get better and better as time goes on. I wish you the very best in everything you do. You have inspired me with your blog and I have so enjoyed reading them. Please stay in touch and I will do the same by posting on your blog! Sincerely Kandi

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kandi. I wish you the best also. I am glad that you have enjoyed reading my blog. If you subscribe to my blog you will receive updates when I post something new. I will try and follow you on your blog also. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

      Delete
  2. Thnx, Kat. I think that we are all harder on ourselves than others would be, but then we know things about ourselves that other don't also. I appreciate the encouragement and understanding. I have been in the situation when I just didn't feel like getting out of bed, but this was when the weather was really gloomy and my SAD was at it worst. But the minute I saw the sun shining, I knew that I needed to get out in it and it did help tremendously. I find that when I do go to church activities, I get all the things that you mention. It is hard for me because I am not an outgoing person. Thnx for your kind remarks and loving-kindness. I send the same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. June,

    While I am so very sorry that something has come to light that is troubling you so, I am also a bit relieved for you in hopes that now that it has come to light it means that you will hopefully soon heal from it. Not knowing of course what it is, I can only hope that this will be the case for you. It has been an absolutely delight to read all of your blogs, and I feel like we had similar experiences with the many different exercises we did for this class. Now that you have reached the near end of this course, do you feel more able, or less able to tackle new problems? I hope that the new tools we have will help you succeed in everything you set your mind to. Best of luck!
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it Lori, I have already started to resolve this issue. I am glad that I have enjoyed ready my blogs and that you felt a connection to me. I wish you the best also. I do feel that I am more able to tackle new problems. Although, I can't say that this was the best class I have had at Kaplan, it is the one where I experienced the most growth.

      Delete
  4. June,
    I must tell you, that when I lived up north I too experienced S.A.D. to a certain extent. The winter months always go me so down. I am a summer girl and always have been and the symptoms virtually disappeared when I moved to the sunshin state. Even winter here is short and we have cold days , it is nothing compared. So I made a change in my life that would impact me overall well being. Not saying you should ever do anything so extreme, but it really helped. I am excited for you to be able to pinpoint what it is that needs fixed and you will do it, i know you will. I love you little clip art and things you put in here, they are so cute and very valid within this course. Good Luck June!!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi June,

    I am glad you have a seen a change from your last scores. I am glad things are improving for the better for you. It's amazing how this course has helped a lot of people whether it's spiritually, pschylogically or physically. I have also been more aware of what I eat and when I work out. I make the time to go for walks, run and have some still moments. I also make the time to be spiritual and have a closer connection with God. I use visualization practices as I feel it is more beneficial for me.

    You are set on the right track and I hope you continue to improve your goals.

    Good luck in your future endeavor and maybe might run into you since we both live in Colorado!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great that you where able to do that. You are moving foward in your life and overall health. Good luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete