Thursday, February 28, 2013

HW420 Integral Health Plan



INTRODUCTION
Our minds, bodies and spirits are a divine gift which I feel we have an obligation to develop to the fullest. I think that it is important for a Health and Wellness Professional to be an example of someone who lives a healthy lifestyle because clients are more likely to take what you say seriously if you do.  It is a matter of practicing what you preach. Practicing what you preach makes the health and wellness professional more credible because the client can see that you are an example of what you are telling them to do. What you are saying is not overshadowed by what you are doing. A client will also be more willing to follow your example if they know that you were once in the same place that they are and have used the tools that you are telling them about to become what you now are. You will also be a more effective health and wellness professional if your mind, body and spirit are at their best. I need to develop in all of these areas in order to achieve these goals for myself. I need to expand my mind, get in better shape and enhance my spiritual development in order to be the best I can be. I also feel that now that I have the tools that this class has given me, I have an obligation to use and share them.
ASSESSMENT
I have assessed my health in each domain by thinking mindfully about how I am doing in each area.  I used a scale of one to ten with ten being the best and scored myself accordingly. Physically, I scored myself as a 5 because even though I exercise regularly and try and eat well, I do not track myself in these areas. I also am not able to exercise at even a moderate pace because I am limited as to what I can do, because I have limited range of motion from a knee replacement. I also have not seen a doctor for a physical for 3 years. During my health screening which was done for our insurance at my husbands’ work, I found that I have high triglycerides and high blood glucose. To my credit these scores through high, have improved over last year. I have, however, started taking Krill Oil to lower my triglycerides and Chromium Picolinate to support health blood sugar levels.
I have scored myself as a 6 psychologically because I have something in my past which is causing me great pain and I cannot let go of it. Every time I think about it I get very depressed.  It has made it difficult for me to focus on doing some of the exercises in this class because they have made it come to mind more frequently. I also suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder which makes me depressed at times. Although, I pretty much have this under control by taking daily walks to get my dose of Vitamin D and by having full spectrum lights in my school room.
I scored myself 6 spiritually because I have been taught the thing that I mentioned in the psychological area is a sin and I feel unworthy therefore I am unable to develop the relationship with the divine that I would like to have.
GOAL DEVELOPMENT
The goals that I have set for myself are:
Physical - I will  get a minimum of 30 minutes a day of exercise at least 5 days a week and track my food intact using MyFitness Pal every day. I will make an appointment with my doctor to discuss the results of my health screening and follow his advice.  I will also get the tests done which I have not had in years i.e. mammogram, Pap smear and colonoscopy. 
Psychological – I would like to try and resolve the one area that I have that I feel is causing me great pain and holding me back spiritually and physically by asking for forgiveness from the ones involved and forgiving myself. If this does not work, I will look into finding a psychologist that I can talk to about it. I will continue to practice meditation and stress management techniques.
Spiritual – I will pray for forgiveness from God for the things that happened in my past which have been causing me to feel that I am not worthy in order to be able to develop a fuller relationship with my Savior. I will then begin to pray regularly at least once a day and study the scriptures or read or listen to something inspirational each day.
PRACTICES FOR PERSONAL HEALTH
The strategies I will implement to foster growth each area are:
Physical – I will write myself an exercise prescription and track my progress using MyFitness Pal and I will decide on calorie limit and track my food using MyFitness Pal. The exercise that I feel will be most effective for me is walking because I can do this outdoors or indoors on the treadmill or using Leslie Sansone’s Walk-at-home videos and walking is something that I can do with the limitations that I have from my knee surgery.  Exercise is important for my physical well-being because it will help me to lose weight which is a factor in high triglycerides and high blood glucose.  Having these indications also puts me at risk for heart disease, so lowering them lowers that risk. I have also found that tracking my food intact and keeping myself within a certain calorie limit helps me to lose weight. This is a strategy that has worked for me in the past. Good nutrition not only will help me to lose weight, but it will contribute greatly to my over-all physical well-being because getting the right nutrients makes your body stronger and less susceptible to disease.
Psychological - I will use meditation every night before I go to bed for at least 15 minutes in order to relax me and help me to sleep better. This will contribute to my psychological well-being by helping me calm my mind so that I can sleep better and be more alert the next day so that I can function at an optimal level. I will ask forgiveness from the people that I feel that are involved in the act previously mentioned in order to free myself from this burden and help me to feel happier.
Spiritual – I will use prayer to rid myself of this burden and then pray regularly in order to more fully develop my relationship with God.  I will use the scriptures and other inspirational readings in order to help me understand the atonement and how it works in my life. This will contribute to my spiritual well-being by helping be become more connected to the Divine and relieving myself of the things that I feel are causing me to not be able to fully develop in this area.
COMMITMENT
I will track my Nutrition and Exercise using MyFitness Pal daily and I will also use my Health and Wellness Blog to assess my progress in the next six months by looking back each week and writing a post about how I did.  I would like ask that the class members who have been following me on the blog for this class to go over to that blog and follow me or subscribe by email, so that they can hold me accountable.  The URL for the blog I will be using is: http://nutritionfitnesseducation.blogspot.com/  

17 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your writing very much, June! With a bit of light proofreading (spelling errors and comma usage) you should feel confident your final outcome will be positive! :)

    ~Prof Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laurie for reading this and giving me your feedback. I have posted a corrected version. Hopefully, I found the errors that you noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi June,

    Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts regarding your integral wellness however; I'm not sure that I would utilize a blog to track your progress because people can be very cruel with their opinions. If you feel you are strong enough to read the negative comments then go for it otherwise I would limit public opinion. How and what you feel is the most important thing, it's about your goals and growth and not what the world thinks or perceive your progress. I began my journey by strengthening my mind first, I had to love me and become strong within before dealing with anyone or anything. Once I gain the strength everything else followed. Having a grounded and strong prayer life will help you to get through anything!

    I wish you much success and luck with following through with your committment. Believe and visualize your success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your concern, but I have set this blog up so that all comments are monitored and limited only to registered users. The only reason that I welcome comments is so that I will be held accountable. I am hoping that my followers from the class blog will follow me on the other blog and support my efforts with my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi June! I really enjoyed reading your presentation. I'm a little confused because I can't tell which one is the most recent - each one has the same comments. I believe I saw the minor errors one had commented on previously. If you haven't reviewed your scale usage ( I thought it said the higher the score, the better... & I thought you meant to give yourself a lower score). It could have been an error on my part. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The comments apply to both versions. They do not change if you edit the blog. The one that is on the now is the final draft unless someone posts a comment that I feel needs to be addressed in the paper. I have corrected any errors that I was able to find, so if you see a glaring one, please e-mail through the class e-mail. Also I did mean that 10 was the best. Do you think that I scored myself too high based on what I wrote?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you have a good plan set up, I now for me this class has caused me to take a deeper look into myself. I can see that we have some areas that are the same and I am encouraged by your willingness to post your progress on a blog. I thought of posting on facebook, but I am not sure my friends would be that interested in my progress. I wish you the best of luck to stay on your goals and wish you good health in the future. It was nice being in class with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnx Debbie, I don't think that it would really hurt to post your progress on Facebook, so what if they are not interested. People post boring stuff on there all the time. It's your page and you should be able to post anything you want on there. I wish you the best of luck too and will miss all the encouragement I have gotten for you guys.

      Delete
  8. Hello June,

    Your opening quote defines one of the goals I have set out for myself. Each day, my goal is to inspire someone in a positive way. You have an ambitious plan to hold yourself accountable. Committing to a blog about your progress is a great way to hold yourself accountable. I sure it will be a good way for you to express how you feel about your progress. I have plenty of children in my home to remind me if I am being mindful and calm, hence the need for deep breathing and relaxation techniques. We are all different in our approaches. That is the key to our successes.

    Good luck in your journey.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I try to inspire people by being the best that I can be. Thanks for your encouragement about using the blog. I only have one class next term, so I think it is an attainable goal. Good luck to you too, Laurie.

      Delete
  9. Hello June!
    MyFitness Pal is a good tool in order to track one’s nutritional intake and physical activity! I like to keep a journal and occasionally will use MyPlate to see if I have met my nutritional needs for the week especially when training. May you achieve your goals and free yourself from whatever burdens you!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love MyFitness Pal and have used it in the past with great success. Good luck to you too on your journey. May you be successful also. I will miss you all!

      Delete
  10. Well done June!! I love that you know what your problems are, you know how they affect you and you still remain such a positive person. We all have things in our pasts and lives that bring us sorrow, I know it can be hard to let it go, no matter what it may be always look on the bright side, you have your health and happiness and you are moving forward. Congrats June! I really enjoyed your writting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always known what my problems were, but I have not always been good at addressing them. This class has forced me to do just that. Thanks, I try and remain positive. I appreciate everyone's encouragement and will miss you all. Congratulations, to you also Sara. I have enjoyed working with you all this term.

      Delete
  11. Hello June. What a nice paper, I think this paper helps us to realize what we need to work on and how we can accomplish our goals. Even though you have areas that you feel needs improvement you still remain positive and want to change. That is the first step to making positive changes in your life. Good luck to you in your goals. I enjoyed reading your blog every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind evaluation of my paper. I love to write and I am glad that you guys have enjoyed my writing. This paper really was a help. Good luck to you with your goals also. I will miss you guys and all the encouragement that I got from you this term.

      Delete