Monday, February 18, 2013

HW420 Unit 7 The Mind-Body Paradigm

Last time when we read about Aesclepius, I pictured my grandmother and later thought of Jesus. So this time I wanted to try and picture him.  At first I didn't have much luck, but on Sunday I heard a song that helped me to see him more personally and then I was able to complete the exercise with more success.  The song is by Michael McLean.  Here is a video of it from You Tube:

After that experience, I was able to picture him as my loving Savior who cares about me and doesn't think of me as just one of the crowd. My spiritual wellness was greatly increased by this experience. The practices that we have done are things that need to be continued in order to fully actualize them in our lives.

When I heard the saying "One can not lead where on has not gone himself", the first thing that came to my mind was "Practice what you preach".  I think that it is important for a Health and Wellness professional to be an example of someone who lives a healthy lifestyle.  Clients are not as likely to take what you say seriously if you don't. Also in order to be the best you can be, you must be developing yourself.  You will be more effective if your heart, mind and body are at their best. I think the best way to implement psychological and spiritual growth in your personal life is to use the principle discussed in the book and make your life the practice.  This means to use intention in all you do. Don't let things just happen to you.  Intentionally, direct your thoughts, actions and life toward things that will make you the best person you can be.

3 comments:

  1. Hi June,

    I can appreciate your ability to picture your grandmother. For this activity I was able to picture my grandfather who I think the world off. We had a special bond. I get the feeling that you are able to freely think WWJD. I think at different times throughout the day, what would my grandfather do? He made this activity very easy for me to complete.

    I completely agree that a health and wellness professional does need to practice what they preach. I get the impression that you are able to devote quality time to health and well-being activities that growth is experienced, what do think is your favorite activity that helps you grown in these areas?

    Have a lovely day, Candii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello June,

    Thank you for sharing the music video. I enjoy inspirational music and I listen to it myself eveyrwhere I go. The feeling I get when I listen to it is a sense of calmness and peacefulness. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. It was very thoughtful and I agree .. in order to obtain credibility, it is very important to practice what you preach.

    I wish you success in your life. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. June,
    I think you and I are on the same page in the unit through and through. I also think of my grandmother when doing these exercises. She gave me so much peace and love in my life I could not imagine any other person helping my spirituality grow and directing my subconcious to a higher level. I also am with on the second part as well, you have to be healthful minded and physically active to possess any sort of opinion in the health and wellness industry. You should always practice what you preach.
    Excellent job June!

    ReplyDelete