Friday, January 25, 2013

HW420-Unit 4 Loving-Kindness


The loving kindness practice has been hard for me so far. It is easy to visualize someone that I hold with great love and tenderness and expand on those feelings and I was able to turn them into myself and become at peace with myself and my body, but it was hard to treat some of my unpleasant experiences as friends therefore it was very difficult to get to a place of stillness, peace and gentleness. I tried to take in a loved one’s suffering and just found myself worrying about them, but still I tried to send out health and joy to them and contemplate how I might be of assistance to them. Because I was fully successful with the first two parts of the exercise, it was almost impossible to take on the suffering of strangers.  In spite of all this, I did feel my heart expanding with loving-kindness. This is a practice that will take some time to master and I can see why they recommend doing it daily. I would recommend to others as a practice to help someone expand their mind.
A mental workout is as necessary for psychological and psychospiritual health as physical exercise is for physical health. Research studies show that mental training can transform the mind by reducing anger, hatred, fear, worry, confusion and doubt and enhancing patience, loving-kindness, openness, acceptance and happiness  Daily mental training through meditation, prayer and visualization can open one’s mind and help to develop one’s mind-body connection and expand our healing capacity thus promoting physical, mental, psychological and spiritual well-being (Dacher, 2006).
Reference:
Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral health the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc

11 comments:

  1. Hello June!

    Before I began this class I viewed a mental workout more in the sense of reading and learning. I keep physically active and always try to keep my mind active as well. However, I had an epiphany when I read the words “mental chatter”. In practicing these exercises I have slowly begun to rid myself of this chatter.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how the Loving-kindness practice tells you to address the thoughts that move in and out of your consciousness and to loosen any grasping or attachment that you have to those thoughts. I think that this is especially valuable with regard to negative and unpleasant thoughts.

      Delete
    2. Hi, June. I found it difficult to do anything that there was not a decent
      pause to do. I have trouble with "guided meditation" because I can't concentrate
      with someone talking while I'm trying to meditate. I was able to feel those
      feeling of love, however, as you mentioned. It WAS rather difficult to take
      in their pain and suffering without actually worrying about them. This task
      IS hard to master but, in time, we will be able to. As the saying goes, "practice
      makes perfect" and I am convinced that we will master it before too long. :)

      Delete
    3. Hi June,since starting this class I have grown within myself, my mind is more at peace,and I have also trained my mind with positive thoughts. Loving-Kindness is one of the most precious gift we could ever have. For the reason that there's not enough of loving kindness, that's why it's important to share with other people, and let them see these things within us, and they will want the same things in their life. Thank you for your post! Kandi Ronning

      Delete
  2. Hi June,
    That is so wonderful that you were able to benefit from the first 2 parts of the exercise. Treating unpleasant experiences as friends is also extremely difficult for me. The minute I have to start dealing with unpleasant experiences they take complete control of my focus and I cant seem to get past that point. I will continue to practice, it's very hard to make friends with my past or worse try and forgive those who have harmed me physically and emotionally.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi June,
    Like with all things, this too will take time. I found myself not able to take in and really offer my loving kindness to strangers, I don't know if I am just that easily distracted but I just found myself not quite ready for that. I did however, expand a loving-kindness attitude toward some co workers, and I just went in with this overwhelmingly positive attitude and the benfits truly were amazing. I really got more respect reciprocated back to me. Getting the hang of this will surely take time. Good Luck to you June!

    ReplyDelete
  4. June,
    I understand how hard it is for you to expand that love and kindness to strangers. With my job I definetly have a hard time with that. I try to be helpful to the people I deal with because they turn on you quick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow June what a nice blog. I also had a hard time with focusing on a loved one who is suffering. I just try to avoid that all together and look at the wonderful memories I ahve shared with my gram. I think in the back of my mind I know the state she is in but I just don't like to bring that to the to the front. Now that I think about it I to had a hard time offering love to strangers. I always try to be kind to everyone and offer my help if I feel they look like they need help but to love a stranger is just weird. I guess that is why they want you to do this exercise twice a day so that these areas can be improved upon.
    I always enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. June,

    I also had some struggles with this exercise. It will definitely take some practice. In one of the sections instead of becoming calm and peacefully I actually ended up a little jumpy and shaky. I hope with continued practice that I get much better at it and truly experience all that should be experienced. I enjoy your blog and your perspectives on our exercises! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. June,

    It is nice to hear from you again. I can totally relate to you in terms of this exercise. My blog recalls similar experiences. I find it can be challenging to feel so much loving kindness towards myself. I think that will be my toughest challenge. What do you think you got most from this exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi June,

    I understand where you are with your exercises because it took me a while before I could let go and let God :). It takes practice, remember you must train your mind and thoughts. I honor your honesty because this is where it begins. Stay focus and encouraged :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete